How to Magnetically Attract Freelance Writing Clients

Image Courtesy of Buzzle.com

Image Courtesy of Buzzle.com

Finding freelance clients can be tough. Some writers spend hours on bid sites like People per Hour, Elance and Odesk looking for clients that pay more than 1 cent per word.  Others sign up for content mills like IWriter hoping to grab a project before it gets snatched up by another quicker writer. Still others spend precious time crafting the ultimate pitch, sending it off with the fingers crossed; praying for the writing gods to serendipitously let it land in the editor’s inbox.

Wouldn’t it be great if those high paying and easy to work with clients came to you?

The good news is there are ways to make this happen. Ways in which you can strengthen your chances of having the clients that you want make the first move in hiring you.

Indeed, there are ways to make that freelance mountain come to you.

Here are a few simple tips that can help you to  magnetically attract freelance writing clients:

A website

If you do not have your own website, please stop what you’re doing. Right now. There are many free guides to setting up your own self hosted site, such as this guide here. If you are serious about being a freelance writer, then you must have a website. There is literally no excuse not to have your own website. If for some reason you can’t afford to purchase your own website (which costs about two slices of pizza per month*) then ask a friend/relative for the money. Your own website advertises your services, displays your expertise, and allows a way for potential clients to contact you easily.  Having a website is the first step in being able to attract freelance writing clients

Comment and forum marketing

Comment marketing and forum marketing are two exceptional techniques that can be used to attract freelance writing clients. By making informed, intelligent and valuable feedback in forums and blogs, you can display your expertise in a particular area, which inform prospective clients that you know what you’re talking about. Not only that, but you can give people a “taste” of your experience and offer them valuable help, which will  encourage them to contact you to solve their issues and increase their profitability. In order to maximize your potential through comment and forum marketing, ensure that you do things such as including a signature link or adding pictures to your forum profile, or concentrate on comment luv enabled blogs.

Guest posting

Guest posting is still one of the most useful ways used to get leads and attract potential freelance writing clients. By guest posting, you are not only demonstrating your expertise, but you are exposing yourself to an entirely new market that otherwise wouldn’t be available to you through your own blog or website. Not only that, but guest posting can be used to build valuable relationships with other freelance writers or those in your niche, which can lead to valuable referrals to great gigs.

Good SEO

Good SEO is another valuable method that can be used to attract freelance writing clients. A massive 92% of all adults who use the internet use search engines to find information on the internet, with almost two thirds (59%) using it regularly.  Therefore, your rankings in search engines, particularly Google, can be very important in how many potential clients find out about your services. The higher up in the search rankings that you appear, the more likely it a potential client will see, and therefor click, your link, with research demonstrating that search terms below the 5th ranked position got less than 2% of all click through traffic, while  the 1st ranked position got a whopping 18.2 % of all clicks . In other words, if you want to generate more traffic and therefore more leads, then you will definitely want to be ranked as highly as possible. If you use WordPress, then a simple free plugin such as Yoast WordPress SEO can make a huge difference in helping you to climb the search engine rankings.

Do you want your freelance writing clients to come to you? By following these few simple steps then you can increase the chances of potential clients turning the tables and have them searching for you.

Do you have any other methods that you use to attract freelance writing clients? Spill the beans in the comments section below!

17 comments to How to Magnetically Attract Freelance Writing Clients

1. I would say that the best way is by using forums/G+ groups to build your reputation and make contacts. To help people and many of those people will help you by giving you work.
    The secret is to *give* and never to ask for any reward.
    Every one of my freelance clients has contacted me as a result of forum contacts…
    Philip Turner recently posted…The Secret to Business Success – 4 Ideas More Important than MoneyMy Profile

• Daryl George says:

Hey Phillip,

I’d definitely agree, especially with the whispers that Google tends to favorably rank content in it’s own network (something that I’m still working on!)

And you’re right, you definitely don’t want to only comment for leads – or else you will definitely end up disappointed! If do it because you genuinely enjoy helping people, then your enthusiasm will and authenticity will shine through, you’ll add more value, and potential clients will definitely pick up on that.

2. Zippywriter says:

Another great post Daryl. All very useful tips, in particular managing good seo. I vouch for the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin also. It works well and it’s free. How could I complain? :)
    Zippywriter recently posted…The pen is mightier than the sword – we are what we thinkMy Profile

3. All of that sounds well and good, but as an old boomer who grew up on an underwood typewriter I feel completely lost sometimes.
    I wasted six weeks trying to develop a website but it is just hanging out there. I don’t know how to finish it, or what to do with it. I went to a blog site instead and I leave content there but so what? It’s a good exercise room but that is about it.
    I am a writer. I take thoughts and ideas and feelings and express them. I don’t know my niche, there are things I like to write about but I’m not a specialist.
    Any room for me this brave new world?

• Daryl George says:

There’s lots of room – but what are you doing spending 6 weeks trying to develop a website? There a LOTS of free, easy to follow guides that will help you set up a free wordpress site within 24 hours. Check out Tom Ewer’s Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Blogging which not only gives step by step instructions on setting up a website but also things such as choosing a focus/topic. The great thing about the internet is that ANYONE can use it, and if you really put your head down I’m sure you’ll be just fine!

Cheers,

Daryl

• In response to roger w russell’s comment, I feel compelled to share my own experience. A year and a half ago, I decided to try blogging. I knew nothing about it, only that it was a system of journaling online. What did I know? I knew I had a lot to say about a lot of things, but was totally unfocused. I started a “general” blog with WordPress, writing about my curiosity about blogs. As I wrote, the topics began to reveal themselves, and I realized there were lots of topics I was interested in. I decided to segregate them into their own blogs. Within a month, I had 11 blogs set up on WordPress! Needless to say, they were not all chock-full of good information, but they did serve to clarify my mind about my purpose and my interests. Eventually, some of those blogs became integrated into others; I eventually left WordPress (converting those blogs to Google’s Blogger), and am now actively writing about seven blogs that are much more focused.

There’s more: Through focusing my writing, I began finding outlets that paid for my writing, and I’ve been able to earn a couple of dollars. Not too shabby, considering I still have a full-time job! But of much more importance is that I now have my own website which, by the way, is just another blog set up as a website. I’m not sure yet what to do with it, if there is a “to do,” but it’s there, along with my other blogs.

If you want to know your niche, or your specialties, make a list of your interests. Mine, for example, are finance (trading options on stocks), healthful eating with the Mediterranean diet, ethics and morals, to name a few. I feel focused in my interests, if not so much in how to disseminate them and translate them into money-making propositions. But narrowing your interests might clarify your mind, and you might discover that there is a lot of room for whatever you want to say.

• Daryl George says:

Hi Yael,

I’d say that your experience is pretty common, and often times quite helpful! I’ve started a couple of blogs that I no longer continue myself, and I think the process of actually doing something and learning is critical in helping you to develop a good idea as to how to best develop your writing style and topics.

I think right now there are a couple ways in which to successfully monetize blogs:
        1. Use them to show expertise and drive traffic so that you can sell other’s products (affiliate marketing)
        2. Use them to show expertise and sell your own products (be it an ebook or just writing services)

I definitely agree that narrowing your interests is a great way to clear your mind – it’s called niching and I think that every writer should eventually “niche down” and find a core topic or topics on which to write on. Check out my previous post on why writers should select a niche for more info.

If you ever need any more info, feel free to leave another comment or message me.

Cheers!

Daryl

• Patricia says:

“and find a core topic or topics on which to write”. The extra “on” is redundant. Just thought you might like to know.

• Daryl George says:

Thanks Patricia – you are indeed correct. However, I’m sure that you’ll appreciate that comments are not necessarily subject to a high level of grammatical scrutiny due to the instant and off the cuff nature of this form of dialogue!

4. I read good quality blogs and leave comments. I also reply to the emails I get from the blogs I subscribe, asking thoughtful comments or thanking them for a really good piece in a newsletter. I am also very active on Twitter.
    Shelly Drymon recently posted…The Compulsion To WriteMy Profile

5. That’s right ya .. Thanks

6. Paul says:

I almost stopped reading at “Comment and forum marketing”. 99% of reputable site and forum owners long ago realised that these were spam bait and took steps to mitigate.
    Paul recently posted…The Drop, Michael ConnellyMy Profile

• Daryl George says:

Hey Paul,

I’d love for you to clarify a bit. Where does your “99%” statistic come from? Exactly what are you saying was mitigated? I certainly hope you don’t mean comment and forum marketing, because I have personally gotten work from comment marketing from a very reputable site.

7. Joko Aza says:

after reading Mr. Daryl George I am very interested to do it and would be very good to earn money from making freelance writing, but because I’ve learned to make a new blog and learn about the world of Internet business, maybe you can help me to learn about it, to the evidence that I just learning to make blog please see the result of my blog and comment and I will fix the shortcomings, if you are willing I say thank you.